This is a simple recipe for cooking lentils. It serves well with rice, and I particularly like a little grated cheddar cheese on top, too.
- 1 cup lentils (Green or Red)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Vegetable stock cube
- 4 small yellow potatoes, cubed (optional)
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- Combine the lentils, water, tomato, onion, cumin, salt, stock cube and vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat; bring to a boil. Cook and stir at a boil until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes (much less for red lentils).
- If you’re using potatoes, add them to the pot and cook until the tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot, garnished with green onions or cilantro.